Criminal Procedure Code, A Commentary, 2nd Edition, Student Edition
- Regular price
- RM 180.00
- Sale price
- RM 180.00
- Regular price
“A commentary on a legislative document such as our Code requires extensive research. It requires mastery of the decisions of Indian Courts as well as our own. Also, it has to be informative and readable at the same time. Srimurugan’s work meets all these requirements. This 2nd edition of his work contains more information than its elder sister. The author has taken pains to formulate propositions established by the several authorities in the language of the judgments delivered in those cases.” From the Foreword by Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram, former Federal Court Judge.
NEW IN THIS EDITION:
Developments in the law arising from key amendments to the Criminal Procedure Code which came into force on March 1, 2017 covering matters below;
- trial in the absence of an accused person,
- provision protecting the identity of a witness testifying,
- evidence of a protected witness to be take through special procedure,
- introduction of new offences into the Penal Code,
- abolishment of whipping of a child offender as provided by the Child (Amendment) Act 2016 Act (Act A1511)
- Appendices containing recent selected Practice Directions and commentary on criminal appeals to the Court of Appeal as well as to the Federal Court
Written by an experienced criminal law practitioner, the latest edition of this book makes available clear and detailed section-by-section commentary on the Criminal Procedure Code. The principles of law developed through cases over the years are carefully distilled and summarised for the easy guidance of users.
The provisions of the Code are fully up-to-date and cross-references guide users through the intricacies of the working of the Code. The commentary is presented in a readable manner and contains significant recent court decisions and new legislative development, incorporating changes made by the Criminal Procedure Code (Amendment) Act 2016 (Act A1521).
- Clear and detailed section-by-section commentary on the Criminal Procedure Code
- Important and applicable principles outlined, supported by relevant authorities
- Comparison with Indian Code of Criminal Procedure and case law from India, Singapore and other Commonwealth jurisdictions where relevant
- Includes historical background and cross references to other legislative provisions complementing the Criminal Procedure Code
- Selected Practice Directions referred to in the commentary supplied for ease of reference
- Appendix setting out commentary on criminal appeals to the Court of Appeal as well as to the Federal Court
Srimurugan Alagan began legal practice at the Criminal Bar following his pupillage under the late Karpal Singh and continues to maintain an active criminal practice. He is an experienced practitioner familiar with a wide range of practice areas and has appeared in numerous cases in the subordinate and the superior courts. He has been a contributor to the Malaysian White Book since its inaugural edition and most recently contributed the annotations to the Rules of the Federal Court 1995 and Rules of the Court of Appeal 1994. He previously published Jurisdiction of Courts in Malaysia (2nd Edition, 2014) and The Criminal Procedure Code – A Commentary (1st Edition, 2016) with Thomson Reuters. His articles have been regularly published in local law journals.